May 31, 2009

3 Sisters at Naniboujou and brushes in the Brule


I spent the last 5 days on the North Shore of Lake Superior at a lodge called Naniboujou It was perfect, I read two books, went hiking, took lots of naps and walks along the shore. My room faced the lake and I could lay in bed with a perfect view of the lake and watch the sunrise each morning and listen to the waves. The weather was cool and perfect. It was hard to come home. I also painted - at least one anyway. There were three tall pines in the yard overlooking the lake - I came to call them the Three Sisters. I would have had other paintings but a funny thing happened along the Brule...there is a state park across from where I was staying and I took my painting gear over and set up on the rocks along the river trying to get a good angle of the rapids. It was windy that day but I thought I was out of the wind. One look away from the easel to get something and crash! The wind took my easel and it lay hanging over the rocks - luckily it wasn't in the river but every single one of my brushes were gone - now floating at sea in Lake Superior. I suppose a resourceful artist would have gone to the woods and got some twigs and pine needles for some makeshift brushes but I figured at that point I was lucky it wasn't me that got swept into the river. So I packed it up and drove into Grand Marais and had dinner and a glass of wine. The good news is that I now have some nice, crisp new brushes!
Here's a pic of the painting site:

Three Sisters
8x10 Oil on Linen Panel
$150 + 12 S/H

©2009 Deb Kirkeeide. All Rights reserved.

Thanks for your visit! And a special thanks to all of you who have sent wedding congratulations. It is very much appreciated. I have always wondered why the parents are congratulated, I really had nothing to do with it. Is it congratulations for getting that kid out of the house? Or for gaining a son in my case? I'm guessing it is the latter. I have a fabulous and honorable son in law.

No comments: