July 22, 2009

Maiden's Prayer


So hold your loved ones close today, whisper in their ear, Tell them how much you love them and that you'll always hold them dear. ~Norma Cornett Marek

It has been a while since I posted. In truth I have been struggling with my painting for a while. But it has also been a sad week for my family and I float in and out of tears and inner reflection that I suppose many go through when we lose someone so young.

My sister's step son has passed on from his fight with cancer. He was twelve. He was a such a great kid and in my mind a very strong and brave young man. He was smart, funny and quite the talker. My sister said he was just beginning to notice girls - he had told his mom there was a girl he thought was "hot"! I'm sure there were some girls who thought he was pretty "hot" too. He will be missed by everyone. My heart goes out to his parents, his sister, and to my sister who loved him as her own. She posted this quote the night he passed. I think it is a good reminder to tell the ones we love just how much.

The painting was inspired by a dance choreographed last season by Mia Michaels on So You think You Can Dance. (one of my favorite shows) It was danced to Ave Maria. Mia is also one of my favorites. Her choreography is so creative and inspiring and I would love to give this to her in appreciation for the gift of her art. Mia, are you out there?

Maiden's Prayer
6x8 oil on Canvas
NFS

Thanks for your visit!
©Deb Kirkeeide. All rights reserved.

7 comments:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

The painting speaks volumes.

Calli said...

Oh, Deb, This is so heartbreaking. The loss of a young man whose life was really just beginning. Incredibly sad. My prayers are with you and yours.

Your painting is stunning! Ethereal and so visually poetic.
Just lovely!

~Calli

Lissa said...

She's beautiful, Deb. Thank you. Love you

Jane Hunt said...

Deb - I'm so sorry for your families loss! I know how confusing and senseless it is when tragic things happen to little ones - it makes you question everything.
This painting is so beautiful - hope your art can bring you some peace.
Take care.

joejoe said...

My Prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.. So Sad~
Very powerful Painting Deb..what a true talent you are.

joe

Chuck Dilmore said...

oh, Deb.
best, healing vibes
to you, your sister, and family.

your painting says more than any words can.
just... profound. beautiful.

peace~

Deb Kirkeeide said...

Thank you ALL for your kind words and healing thoughts. I appreciate it so much. I am grateful for you all.